St. Mark's Lutheran Church


On November 29, 1852, the Lycoming County Court of Common Pleas granted a charter to the "English Evangelical Lutheran Church of Williamsport."  The Charter was recorded by hand in a volume, still held in church archives.

Page 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8

The charter was amended on February 15, 1864 to permit encumbrance for the building or repairing of the church edifice.

→ Page 1  2  3

On April 10, 1871, Judge Gamble allowed the church to connect itself with the "German Evangelical Lutheran Ministerium of Pa and Adjacent States" (commonly known as the Pennsylvania Synod).

Page 1  2  3  4

A charter amendment of July 6, 1892 changed the name to "St. Mark's English Evangelical Lutheran Church of Williamsport, Pa." and provided for conduct of church affairs by a council of three Trustees, four Elders and four Deacons, and the Pastor.

Page 1  2  3  4  5  6