Sunday Worship Youth & Family Music Milestones Stephen Ministry The Way
This Month Archive
Contacts Church Leadership
St. Mark's Lutheran Church

 

  News

  &
  Articles


Topic search:  

Jump to

7.13.2024 - Independence Day Hospitality

4.7.2024 - Alba Paige Hanford Baptism

3.31.2024 - Images of Easter Sunday

2.18.2024 - Shrove Tuesday

2.12.2024 - Souper Bowl of Caring

12.13.2023 - Annual Meeting Report

12.13.2023 - Annual Meeting Luncheon Photos

12.10.2023 - St. Mark's Annual Report Issued

11.13.2023 - Operation Christmas Child

11.6.2023 - All Saints Sunday 2023

10.22.2023 - Harvest Home: "A Day of Thanksgiving"

10.21.2023 - Pumpkin Carving Event

10.20.2023 - 2023 CROP Walk

9.30.2023 - Our Fall Sale is a Success!

9.30.2023 - Fall Crafts Event - September 2023

7.24.2023 - St. Mark's Indoor Picnic and History Exhibit

7.13.2023 - Sam Robinson's July 4 Concert

7.13.2023 - July 4 Celebration at St. Mark's

6.13.2023 - Milestones: High School & College Graduation

4.16.2023 - Holy Week at St Marks 2023


Browse the Article Archive

DedicationSt. Mark's Building Attains Milestone

Celebrates 60 Years

 

Founded in 1852, St. Mark’s Lutheran Church, Williamsport, is celebrating the 60th anniversary of the dedication of its current sanctuary located at the foot of the Market Street bridge. It is only the congregation’s third church building in its 168 year history.

A procession of the congregation from its former nave (in use since 1896) to the current building took place on Sunday, February 28, 1960. Members were led by the Rev. Frederick G. Hasskarl, Senior Pastor; the Rev. Paul F. Bosch, Assistant Pastor; and the Rev. Dr. J. Ray Houser, President of Waterloo Seminary and former pastor.

dedicationAlso participating in the procession were Trustees of the Church Council, the Choirs, and the Congregation. Frederick A. Snell, Organist and Choir Director, composed an anthem, entitled “Praise the Lord”, for the Service of Dedication. The Rev. A. Howard Weeg, President of the Illinois Synod, presented the sermon.

The Holy Bible, the Sacramental Vessels, and the Altar Book were carried by Trustees of the Council: Charles A. Schreyer, Louis Welker, Harry J. W. Kiessling, William C. Roos, and Chester M. Best. Frank Kelley, Trustee, served as Chairman of the Building Committee. The architectural firm of T. Norman Mansell, Philadelphia, designed the new church.

St. Mark’s was founded in 1852 as the first English-speaking Lutheran church in Williamsport, and is located at the foot of the Market Street bridge. The Holy Eucharist is celebrated on Saturdays at 4 p.m. and on Sundays at 8 and 10:30 a.m. Sunday church school for all ages is held at 9:15 a.m. The Rev. Brian D. Vasey serves as the current pastor.

Read and see more: